Prerequisite: You should already have downloaded the Mikrotik Winbox utility to the computer that you will be configuring the device from. The device should be connected to the Internet and to your computer.
NOTE: When configuring a MikroTik using an iOS device, connect the MikroTik to the router that your device is connected to and configure it through your LAN. There have been issues with attempting to configure a MikroTik patched directly to iOS devices.
The following setup was done using a Mikrotik RB951Ui-2HnD:
- Using the Winbox utility, connect to the device
- As a best practice, you should reset the router with NO CONFIGURATION. Of course, if you have the router already setup to perform other actions do not do this step and instead use the script to configure as per your requirements.
- Reconnect to the Routerboard using the Winbox utility (see step 1).
- Open a New Terminal window
- In the Smart WiFi Dashboard, find the gateway and click the edit icon. On the Edit Gateway page, click the ‘View’ button and the specific script for this device will open in a new browser window.
- Select ALL of the text in the browser window and copy to your clipboard.
- Paste the script into the terminal window on Winbox.
You should be returned to the terminal prompt. You may have to press enter to run the final line of the script. If everything has run successfully the terminal should look like the example below.
- Reboot your MikroTik device to complete the setup
- After your Mikrotik Routerboard completes its power cycle, the device should now display the Splash Page you assigned to the Hotspot in the Smart WiFi Dashboard when you associate to the WiFi.
If you do not get to the Finished Finished step of running the script the common cause is the MikroTik is not able to connect to the internet. Make sure the MikroTik is patched into your router using the correct ports.